Killam's Point Conference Center


About Us

Stacks Image 3


Killam's Point Conference Center covers approximately 50 acres of church-owned nature preserve located on the Connecticut shore. Extending into Long Island Sound, Killam's Point is a quiet refuge of undisturbed woodland, salt marsh, and rocky tidal area. It is available to educational and non-profit groups as well as churches. It is an ideal spot for school field trips, day camps, nature walks and quiet retreats. Reservations are required to ensure the privacy of all attending groups.

Killam's Point is 8 miles from New Haven, 45 miles from Hartford and New London. The First Congregational Church of Branford is the owner of the 50 acre property, one of the largest privately held undeveloped parcels on the Connecticut shore.

It is open from April 1st through Thanksgiving.


Killam’s Point Mission Statement

At Killam’s Point, God’s grace is experienced in the beauty of the land and sea, the warmth of human relationships, the joy of growing into a whole person and the understanding that all things are connected. It is a place for youth, adults and families….

• To learn about oneself, one another, the world and God
• To reconcile with oneself and with one another
• To contemplate and renew one’s spirit
• To preserve open space for the benefit and enjoyment of future generations.



History of Killam's Point

In the late 17th century, King Charles II of England made a grant of aproximately 70 acres of forested land bordering what is now called Long Island Sound to the First Ecclesiastical Society of the town of Branford. In 1868, the Society in turn leased the land on a 99 year term to a Mr. Russell, and then the lease was transferred to the Killam family, prominent New Haven coachmakers, in the early 1880s. The area became known as Killam's Point and several houses were constructed on its upper reaches.

With the expiration of the lease in 1967, the homesites on the upper 20 acres were sold to the residents, leaving approximately 50 acres of wilderness, salt marsh and rocky shore. Under the leadership of its minister, Roger Manners, and with the assistance of the Connecticut Conference of the United Church of Christ, the First Congregational Church of Branford acted with neighboring churches and individuals to form the Branford Royal Grant Corporation, a non-profit organization, to develop the remaining area with the cottages at Shepard's Point into a conference and retreat center.

The members of First Congregational Church voted to assume management of Killam's Point effective 12/1/2005.


Killam's Point Conference Center - 131 Killam's Point Branford, CT 06405

info@killamspoint.org

Mailing address
Killam's Point Conference Center
c/o First Congregational Church
1009 Main St, Branford, CT 06405

reservations@killamspoint.org






Photo ©Betsy Hyde